History of the Ladies Auxiliary in Delta
On a Monday night in September 1944 a meeting was held in the Municipal
Hall, and under the auspices of the Delta Branch #61 Canadian Legion,
a branch of the Women’s Auxiliary was organized.
Mrs. C.W. Bingham was chosen as the new organization's first president,
with Mrs. F.M. Thorne as first vice-president, and Mrs. F. B. Fisher
as second vice-president. Secretary will be Mrs. J. Pinkerton; treasurer,
Mrs. R. Giddins, and standard bearer, Mrs. W. Wellburn.
Introduced by Dr. F. M. Thorne, president of Delta Branch, Canadian
Legion, Mrs. B. Currey, of Vancouver, local representative of provincial
Command of the Women's Auxiliary, acted as chairman for the meeting,
explaining the aims, objects and organization of the auxiliary branch.
Mrs. D. McLellan, secretary of the Women's Auxiliary in BC, assisted
Mrs. Currey. Twelve ladies joined as charter members of the branch
and the Charter was
on October 17th, 1944.
In Boundary Bay Cemetery, there is a
memorial stone dedicated to the men and woman who gave their lives
Canada in the two world wars. Sometimes referred to as the "Forgotten
it was placed there on September 11, 1966 by members of the
Ladies Auxiliary to Delta Branch 61. Currently it is the site
service to commemorate the D-Day Landing.
In 2004, the Ladies
to Branch 61, celebrated their 60th anniversary, with six
in attendance, dignitaries and members from all the Tri
Zone branches. We have one member who will receive her 60-year membership
in 2005. The Ladies Auxiliary to Branch 61 raise funds
draws, the BBQ Beef in a Bun booth at the Ladner Pioneer
May Days celebration and our yearly Western Night, as well as many
functions. The proceeds from all our varied projects are
Hospitals such as George Derby Center, Tsunami Relief Fund,
Fire Relief Fund, local Hospitals and many local charities.
is small, only 35 members, but we make a difference in