The Ladner Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion was chartered on March 21, 1928 and was originally known as the Canadian Legion of the British Empire Service League. In 1960 the Legion was renamed the Royal Canadian Legion. The original building was deeded to the Branch in 1945 by the Municipality of Delta and was located where the Ladner Community Centre is situated now. At that time the building housed the ‘Dugout,’ a servicemen’ s canteen which had been established for the benefit of members of the armed forces stationed in the area. When it finally closed it's doors, an estimated 50,000 armed forces personnel had passed through those portals. Also, about this time a bowling alley was purchased and moved to a building which had been erected adjoining the high school. The Branch’s main form of income was from this bowling alley. In the 1950’s, the Branch received its liquor license and was moved to the foot of Delta Street in the heart of Ladner Village. 1970 brought about a third move to the current location on Delta Street. Branch 61 is the third owner of this building, constructed in 1922 for the Bank of Montreal and later went on to become the BC Government Liquor Store.
In recent years the Legion has provided bursaries to local scholars, supported senior and minor sports teams, cadets and other youth groups. The supply of Christmas hampers for the needy has been a seasonal project as well as many other community endeavours.